Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Wanna Bet"?  (Read 6873 times)

tvwxman

"Wanna Bet"?
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »
Has anyone here seen any promos regarding ABC's new quiz, which premieres tomorrow night? Heck, I work for an ABC affil and we haven't seen squat about it!

Wondering if ABC is burying Ant and Dec's US premiere because it sucks.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/wannabet/index?pn=index
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »
Win: George Takei.

Fail: Sherri Shepherd.

I'll watch it, because I love Ant & Dec. But man, seeing Shepherd sitting on the couch made my heart sink.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bandit_bobby

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »
Tom Bergeron's going to be on the second episode, folks.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »
Ant and Dec were the back-end guest on Friday's Jimmy Kimmel show, if that counts for anything.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'191497\' date=\'Jul 20 2008, 08:25 PM\']
Ant and Dec were the back-end guest on Friday's Jimmy Kimmel show, if that counts for anything.[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLG3S5WzHig

Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'191489\' date=\'Jul 20 2008, 10:49 PM\']
Has anyone here seen any promos regarding ABC's new quiz, which premieres tomorrow night? Heck, I work for an ABC affil and we haven't seen squat about it!

Wondering if ABC is burying Ant and Dec's US premiere because it sucks.
[/quote]
I saw a few while I was watching "Duel...on ABC", the other nite. I notice Tom Bergeron's a guest as well.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'191489\' date=\'Jul 20 2008, 10:49 PM\']
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw a couple promos.  I wanna say they were during the MOLE recap show.  Herself said, "That looks like fun!"  Which it does.  We'll see...
czambo@mac.com

tvwxman

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:13:12 PM »
4th place last night, getting a third of the ratings the CBS sitcom juggernaut got.

Yipes.

I didn't think it was 'that' bad, but horribly slow.
-------------

Matt

tpirfan28

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
Criminey.  Didn't realize I missed it (cought parts of AG and House instead).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DrJWJustice

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'191746\' date=\'Jul 22 2008, 05:13 PM\']
4th place last night, getting a third of the ratings the CBS sitcom juggernaut got.

Yipes.

I didn't think it was 'that' bad, but horribly slow.
[/quote]
With a line of tornado warnings across northern Missouri last night, ABC was the only network I could pick up in my basement for storm news.  This wasn't a show that made me hold my breath like WWTBAM or such, but it sure made a tense hour go by easier.  Let's see if it gets a second week or not.  I didn't think it deserved ratings that bad.

Speedy G

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
Three thoughts I had while watching (nothing spoiler-y):

1) Nobody in America knows who you are, Ant and Dec.  Please introduce yourselves properly to the American audience.  If you want to be cheeky Brits, don't wait until 45 minutes in to do something like that crisps/chips/french fries observation.

2) This show could REALLY use a Bergeron.  Not on the celebrity panel, as host.  Seriously ABC... WTF?

3) This show could REALLY use some Ballbreakers-style side bets.  Without it, the celebrities' involvement basically boils down to betting on coin flips, and trying to make that interesting.  It'd probably be more entertaining to grab the four loudest people from the local horse racing track and bring them in to play.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

tvwxman

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:09:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'191758\' date=\'Jul 22 2008, 07:48 PM\']
 It'd probably be more entertaining to grab the four loudest people from the local horse racing track and bring them in to play.
[/quote]
Well, to be fair, isn't that how Sherri Shephard got the job on the View, too?
-------------

Matt

DrJWJustice

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'191758\' date=\'Jul 22 2008, 06:48 PM\']
Three thoughts I had while watching (nothing spoiler-y):

(snip)
[/quote]

I have a fourth one -- some kind of audience play-along value.  Do something live on the internet, à la NBC and the DoND choose the case contest.

BrandonFG

"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »
I watched it. It was okay, not a bad show, but it's missing something. It's just too repetitive to be an hour-long show. At least an incentive for the contestants, i.e. a certain amount of money for each celeb fooled, with fooling all four winning a bonus. Hell, two studio contestants scoring points for choosing, based on the celeb decisions. Just something that allows a little more competition between someone other than a panel.

I forget, but didn't the Mark McEwen CBS one-time special from about 15 years ago work the same way? ISTR celebs betting on outrageous stunts, i.e. changing a tire while driving on two wheels.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:21:49 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Wanna Bet"?
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'191766\' date=\'Jul 22 2008, 05:20 PM\']
I watched it. It was okay, not a bad show, but it's missing something. It's just too repetitive to be an hour-long show. At least an incentive for the contestants, i.e. a certain amount of money for each celeb fooled, with fooling all four winning a bonus. Hell, two studio contestants scoring points for choosing, based on the celeb decisions. Just something that allows a little more competition between someone other than a panel. [/quote] But the panel is already competing. That part I don't have a problem with. And really, why would the contestants earn money for "fooling" the panel? They're trying to accomplish their goal so they don't look like tools on prime-time telly. Now, if they won all the money bet by Doubting Thomases, that'd be OK by me. There's no way I'm going to put myself out there in that fashion, only to sandbag my feat just because everyone voted "SUCCEED".

I forget, but didn't the Mark McEwen CBS one-time special from about 15 years ago work the same way? ISTR celebs betting on outrageous stunts, i.e. changing a tire while driving on two wheels.
Exactly, but with no point scale that I could recall.

Some notes from me, because I know you were all on the edge of your seats waiting:
* I never thought I'd be able to say to Tom Green, "congratulations, you weren't the biggest D-bag on the panel!". But there we are. I don't know who Harland Williams is, I don't care. What a perfect asshat.

* Something has to be done with the betting. It looks awful to have Mr. Sulu triumphantly say "I bet twenty thousand dollars!" to see "$2,000" (p-TING!) come up on the screen. Either have the bets written in ink and hidden away until the reveal, or do something OTHER than using keypads. Blech.

* I also wasn't keen on "before we set the bet, let's see what our panel said." We'll find out by who cheers in what fashion in a bit anyway, why waste time on that? I think a reveal in the style of Final Jeopardy would be just fine.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:39:02 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle